Yeah, I know, a large shapeshifter horseshoe crab isn't very appealing and probably neither is a large preying mantis. But consider these facts before you completely rule out the possibility of an alpha insect.
1. Bugs outnumber humans on planet earth by about 1,000,000,000 to 1. That's quite a lot. If you're looking for a shifter army, you're gonna have more soldiers in the insect world hands down. If there was ever an insect/human war, I'd pick the larger -- way larger -- team for sure.
2. Bugs are stronger. Okay, they make shapeshifting humans tougher by giving them lots of muscle and strong bones, but they still can't be run over by a car and survive. Yet there are beetles you can step on who won't get hurt at all! Plus, insects can lift hundreds of times their own weight, putting humans to shame. Bugs aren't just tough, they're super tough.
3. Insects can fly! Well, not all of them, but unless it's a vampire we're talking about, most of the paranormal lovers out there don't, even when shifted. They tend to stick to the ground dwelling beasts such as bears, wolves, coyotes, etc. When they aren't shifted, they take planes.
4. Wolves have extra sharp noses, but insects have tricky eyes! Their compound eyes allow them to see in all directions at once. How cool is that?
5. They've got more legs. Does that mean they have more hands? Ah, the better to handle you with my dear!
Well, there's just a few thoughts on why we should have a bug shifter series. I mean, wow, there's so many to choose from we'd never run out of options.
Plus, they're kind of cute, don't you think?
Find out more about my whacky mental adventures by joining my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/bdbAsr